Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Another day, another hotel.


Iceland did not win Eurovision. We have saved this til next year.

Tonight I am in Copenhagen, the city formally known for the statue of the little mermaid. Recently for Noma, the restaurant deemed the best in the world for the second year in a row. Pretty impressive for a world full of wonderful culinary experiences.

I cannot tell you anything about the Noma menu or the food as the waiting list is three months. No dropping in as I had hoped. My appearance took place at Bryggen, which is in the same building so I did get to hear from the locals what the hype is all about.

To give you an idea, they use volcanic ash for spice and the mineral water is vintage - I do not remember the specifics but it was something akin to it being retrieved from a virgin spring at the root of the tree of life.  The vegetables served arrive still rooted to the soil - in clay pots.

As life is about experience I have decided to make a reservation and come back here with my husband to try out the Noma experience. Promises made to write all about it.

Regarding this attendance I can only hope they change the menu between now and three months from today. Why? I was told the current menu includes a sampler involving a live shrimp. It arrives on ice with some dry ice smoke but when you pick it upo it squirms.

Personally I am not picky bit live food is a bit much. Rigor mortis is never appetizing but squirming - no thank you.

Yrsa - Wednesday

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me, Yrsa, that little mermaid better be damn careful not to move while the chef is wandering about thinking up his menu.

    ReplyDelete